Wecome to IRI RowGen!
IRI RowGen generates rows ... billions of rows of safe, intelligent test data in database, flat-file, and formatted reports targets ... without needing production data!
IRI RowGen creates and populates accurate, relational test data in the same table, file, and report layouts used in production. RowGen uses the data definitions you already have (or create on the fly) to randomly generate structurally and referentially correct test data.
IRI RowGen was designed by data modeling, integration, and processing experts to save time and energy in the creation of perfect, compliant test data sets in modifiable table, file, and report formats. With RowGen, you are immediately ready for development, benchmarking, and outsourcing.
RowGen is a part of the IRI Data Protector suite of products, and a functional subset of the CoSort package (in the IRI Data Manager suite). RowGen combines a powerful Eclipse GUI built with a popular, self-documenting 4GL you can run anywhere.
Automatically or manually create, transform, and format test data in table, file, and report layouts ... test data that is realistic in appearance, content, relationships, distributions, and volume.
RowGen metadata is saved in explicit text scripts. Modify, save, and re-use them. Produce an audit trail in XML format -- which includes all job metadata -- to help you track project lineage and verify compliance with data privacy regulations.
Getting the right test data has not been easy. Many DBAs and application developers unfortunately:
- forgo adequate testing and make inaccurate suppositions and extrapolations
- code custom 3GL or shell programs for test sets valid in only one scenario
- use confidential production data at the risk of breaches, NDA violations, etc.
- scour a low-end market of test data tools that lack speed or functional breadth
- rely on costly, hard-to-modify platform tools that subset and mask production data
You must be able to create large volumes of realistic test data that conform to complex business rules and privacy laws. The test data must have the same look and feel as production data, but not actually come from production because:
- personally-identifying information would be exposed
- access is restricted
- the production data does not yet exist
- today's production data may not reflect tomorrow's scope
With RowGen, you leverage the metadata you have and can customize everything you need to:
- successfully develop and stress-test new applications
- test operational database and query scenarios
- prototype DW ETL/ELT jobs and DB migrations
- safely share or outsource data samples without NDAs
- benchmark new hardware and software performance
RowGen generates data with the right data types, record formats, value ranges, row volumes, and inter-table relationships. RowGen lets you build all the good data, bad data, and null data you need.