SortCL is the most powerful and popular user interface in the IRI CoSort package and the 4GL program for defining data and manipulations for other compatible IRI software products, including:
- IRI NextForm, for data and DB migration
- IRI FieldShield, for PII data masking
- IRI RowGen, for test data generation
- IRI Voracity, for total data management
SortCL is also what makes CoSort (and the IRI Voracity platform using it) a one-stop "super tool" for data transformation, conversion, protection, and reporting.
Short for Sort Control Language, SortCL is a fourth generation language (4GL), executable program, and callable library routine, for structured data management. SortCL's extensive capabilities are detailed in the tabs above, and listed in this diagram under the CoSort logo :
No Experience Necessary
SortCL uses an open, explicit metadata to define and manipulate data in more than 125 disparate file and database sources. SortCL syntax is self-documenting; anyone can read, recognize, and modify SortCL programs with ease.
SortCL uses simple English statements based on VMS sort parms and familiar SQL, C, and Perl expressions. Unlike cryptic ETL, 3GL, and MapReduce programs, anyone can figure out what's going on in a SortCL script!
But for those who cannot or simply will not learn another language, there's a powerful GUI to save them from it. The IRI Workbench is a graphical integrated development environment (IDE), built on Eclipse,™ for creating, running, sharing, and modifying SortCL jobs, and their "data definition file (DDF)" source and target layouts.
Did You Know?
SortCL was introduced in 1992. It remains so widely adopted because it is uniquely explicit, open, and powerful. SortCL has met its design goals to be:
- modular, so you can keep adding functions into the same I/O pass
- extensible enough for complex data transformations and reporting
- so clear that anyone can create, modify, re-use, and share its jobs
- familiar to JCL users, SQL-savvy DBAs, and DW/BI data architects
- far faster than ETL tools, and without using DBs or bigger servers
- executed (not compiled!) in real-time, batch, CLI, API, and GUI ops
- portable, so its jobs run on all Unix, Linux, and Windows platforms
- easily integrated into new applications, SaaS uses, or ASP models
SortCL job scripts perform, speed, and/or combine: big data transformation, conversion, protection, and BI in the world's largest production environments.
Quickly find and re-use SortCL metadata in multiple IRI products and projects to meet your data processing, protection, presentation, and prototyping requirements. Use SortCL jobs scripts and DDF layouts across the IRI ecosystem, and manage their use and lineage directly in Eclipse and through available cloud repositories like SVN or GIT.
SortCL DDF is also compatible with the AnalytixDS Mapping Manager, and the Meta Integration Model Bridge (MIMB) from Meta Integration Technology, Inc. Convert the metadata already use in your BI, CRM, database, ETL, and modeling tools, into the metadata used in all IRI software. This preserves your investment in existing metadata, and allows you to more quickly leverage the benefits of IRI software running with (or instead of) those applications.