In the post-SOX compliance era, companies and government agencies are subject to fines and lawsuits for privacy law violations and data breaches. The data putting everyone at risk includes:
- Personally identifiable information (PII) used alone or with other data to identify, contact, or locate someone; e.g. name, address, phone number, or national ID number.
- Protected health information (PHI) in medical records that identifies a health care recipient. US HIPAA regulations require 18 specific identifiers to be effectively de-identified or anonymized.
- Primary account number (PAN)'s in credit card transactions. Payment card industry data security standard (PCI DSS) require card issuers, merchants, and testers to encrypt, tokenize, and so on.
- Other sensitive information, like formulas and codes, that constitute military or trade secrets.
IRI's FieldShield software helps you support the risk and controls framework of your enterprise, including data governance, information stewardship, regulatory compliance, and data loss prevention objectives. FieldShield protects sensitive data in databases and files with static data masking (SDM) or dynamic data masking (DDM) functions that:
- Encrypt with built-in (or your own) libraries
- Mask via obfuscating characters or manipulations
- Pseudonymize, de-identify, hash, or randomize
- Filter fields or redact records based on conditions
Choose the function based on your business rules regarding: authorization (RBAC), security strength, reversibility, and target field appearance. Protect like columns (and preserve referential integrity) across multiple tables with functions you specify or import from a rules library.
FieldShield uses the same data definition, manipulation, and reporting language as CoSort’s widely used SortCL program to define the protections and the formats of your data targets. Specify existing or new tables, files, applications, and even customized report outputs. Protect data in the same job and I/O pass as you report, transform, or migrate data -- or hand-off protected data subsets in the format your BI tool requires.
Use FieldShield -- and optional professional services from IRI or the experts you choose -- to comply with data privacy laws. Secure sensitive data inside and outside the firewall, in reports, and in the cloud.